Notice: Undefined index: HTTP_ACCEPT in /mnt/BLOCKSTORAGE/home/384483.cloudwaysapps.com/kqyzrsjabg/public_html/wp-content/plugins/gourmet-ads/Classes/GA_VAST_Mobile_Detect.php on line 18
I was in need of using up my sourdough discard this weekend. But I wasn’t about to have my oven on at 500 degrees for over an hour to bake sourdough bread. So I decided on something simpler, something that screamed summer: Strawberry sourdough shortcake. It’s the kind of summer dessert that will have you smiling ear-to-ear.
For this recipe, I made a homemade sourdough sweet biscuit. None of those stale store-bought artificial yellow cakes here! We’re making real shortcake and mixing up fresh cut-up strawberries with some lemon and sugar. And yes, whipping up homemade whipped cream. We’re taking our time with this dessert. Appreciating the good life. Listening to Taylor Swift while we do it.
This recipe makes four strawberry shortcakes. But, it will bake at least 9 biscuits. So, you have options. you can either double the strawberry & whipped cream ingredients and make for 8 to 9 people. Or freeze the biscuits you don’t use and simply toast them in the oven at 400 degrees when you want strawberry shortcake again later this summer.
Don’t have a sourdough starter? I know, if you don’t have a starter, you probably hate me for making this recipe. So here’s a sweet biscuit recipe you can make without it. Or, uh, make some starter. We’re still stuck at home, right? Might as well.
A quick tip for hulling strawberries!
See what I’m doing there? That’s right, use a straw! You can easily get rid of the strawberry top without losing any of the strawberry when you cut it. So when you hull the strawberry and cut them into quarters, use a metal straw.
Do I highly recommend a little whiskey drink while you hull strawberries and make this recipe? 100%. It’s summer, after all.
More summer treats
Because you know you want them.
- Rosé Sangria
- Rice Krispies Treats
- Frozen Strawberry Margaritas
- Salsa Verde (get fresh tomatillos from the farmer’s market!)
- Blistered Shishito Peppers
- Homemade Italian Tomato Sauce (for all those tomatoes!)
- Sparkling Peach Sangria
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp in White Wine Sauce
And of course, strawberry shortcake.
Strawberry Sourdough Shortcake
- 2 cups strawberries hulled and quartered
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 5 tbsp sugar divided
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter cold or frozen
- 1 cup sourdough starter active, 100% hydration
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream divided
For the Strawberries
- Combine the strawberries in a bowl with 1 tbsp of sugar and the lemon juice. Place in the fridge.
For the Sourdough Shortcakes
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sourdough starter and 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream. Set aside.
- Mix together the flour, 2 tbsp sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Grate butter, then stir into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula.
- Add the wet ingredients into the larger bowl and stir with a rubber spatula (or clean hands!) until everything has combined and a dough has formed.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface with a rolling pin until the dough is about 1/2” thick. Using a biscuit cutter (or some kind of round object, like a cup), cut out your biscuits (use a biscuit cutter or the lid of a mason jar)and place them on the lined baking sheet.
- After cutting out all the biscuits you can, combine the dough with your hands and roll it out to cut more biscuits. Continue to do this until you’ve formed at least 8-9 biscuits.
- Bake the biscuits for 15 minutes.
For the Whipped Cream
- While the biscuits are baking, make the whipped cream. Using a stand mixer (or a hand mixer) combine the other 1 cup of heavy cream and the last 2 tbsp of sugar in a bowl.
- Whisk until whipped cream has formed—the mixture should be fluffy and create stiff peaks. This should take about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve the warm shortcakes with the strawberries and the homemade whipped cream!
Pin this for later!
Looking for more easy recipes? I have a free cookbook for you right here!