When I go to Chipotle, I almost always go for the same two things—the roasted veggies, and the pico de gallo. People make fun of me because I crave those things over the coveted Chipotle guacamole. But I’m all about a good burrito bowl with fresh vegetables on it—it just hits the spot, you know? So I decided to make my own simple version of a roasted veggie burrito bowl that I can easily meal prep when I need to.
First, these meal prep containers are my absolute fave. They let you section off different parts of your meal so they don’t all mix together and get soggy—like the fresh pico de gallo on the rice. They’re also helpful for other types of meal prep, like if you prep a sandwich and want fruit on the side, etc. If you want to snag a set of six meal prep containers like these, here’s where I got them.
Second, this roasted veggie burrito bowl recipe has you looking for a pre-packaged bag of Mexican or Spanish-style rice. I honestly find this a lot easier to throw together for meal prep than making a whole pot from scratch. But if you wanted to make it, here’s my Mexican Rice recipe that you can prep in just 30 minutes.
However, if 30 minutes still sounds like too much, you can just buy a flavored rice packet and call it a day. My favorite to use is the Banza Chipotle Tomato Rice. Other great options include the Good & Gather Spanish Style Rice or the Good & Gather Cilantro Rice from Target, Ben’s Spanish Style Rice, or Right Rice Spanish.
Lastly, for this recipe, you can—of course—add an extra protein if you wish, like chicken or steak. But I find I am perfectly full and content with this simple roasted veggie burrito bowl.
Roasted Veggie Burrito Bowls
- Sheet pan
- Meal prep containers
- 2 corn on the cob tips cut off
- 2 poblano peppers halved and seeded
- 1 can black beans
- 1 packet Mexican or Spanish style rice
- 3 tomatoes diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 2 juiced limes separated
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the corn and the halved poblano peppers (cut side down) on a sheet pan.
- Spray the tops with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Mix together the diced tomato, red onion, and juice of one lime in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper then set aside.
- While the veggies are roasting, prepare the Mexican or Spanish style rice per packaged instructions.
- Dump a can of black beans into a sauce pan and turn the heat on medium-low. Add the juice of one lime, and season with salt & pepper. Stir, then continue to simmer until the black beans are heated through.
- When the veggies are done, slice up the poblano peppers then shuck the corn using a knife and a large bowl (pictured above).
- In four containers, split up the rice, black beans, poblano peppers, corn, and pico de gallo.
More lunch meal prep ideas!
I don’t know about you, but I have to continually rotate through my meal prep recipes so I don’t get sick of them. Here’s the list I turn to when I need ideas:
- Honey Sweet Potato Summer Salad
- Meatball & Chickpea Lunch Bowl
- Lemon Pasta Primavera
- Veggie & Sausage Sheet Pan
- One-Pot Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
- Roasted Chickpea Greek Salad
- Delicata Squash Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Creamy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Quick & Easy Muffuletta Sandwich
- Buffalo Chickpea Salad
- Grilled Greek Chicken Pita Bowl
- Chicken Sausage Sweet Potato Bake
- Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
- Greek Pasta Salad
Never miss a recipe! Sign up for my newsletter to get the latest in your inbox—and receive a free one-month meal plan ASAP.