For those of you that are new, a very special hello! I’m so glad you are here! And for those of us that have been around for a little bit, what’s up? It’s been a few weeks since I’ve checked in. I took that much-needed break and climbed a mountain up in Vermont with my husband, worked a bit on my school stuff (refresher: I’m taking a class at Stanford this summer to learn all about nutrition science), and dreamed up some new, delicious recipes. This is one of the creations I recently came up with and I had to share it with you right away—a honey sweet potato summer salad.
First, can we talk about the fact that salads are so hard to name? Most salads you see on the Internet are just small lists of what’s in the salad. But…that’s so boring. I originally wanted to name this the “Sweet Like Honey Summer Salad” or something like that but figured for Google search purposes that wouldn’t be wise. But hey, if you think that’s a better title for my salad, f*** it. Let’s change the name.
This salad is vegetarian. Look at me go. To be quite honest with you, based on what I’ve been learning in my nutrition class, I’ve significantly cut down my intake of dairy and meat. Not that I don’t love these things, but I have learned a lot about what these foods do to your body when you eat them in excess—and it’s mind-blowing. Don’t worry, I’ll share all the juicy details with you soon. But that’s sort of the inspiration behind this honey sweet potato summer salad. Or my Sweet Like Honey summer salad. Whatever you want it to be, honestly.
Also—blueberries, in a salad? I mean we usually see strawberries in a salad, right? But blueberries? Yeah, I am kind of impressed with myself for this one. You’ll be shocked how delicious it pairs with the sweet potatoes, the goat cheese, and the homemade honey lemon vinaigrette that I’m about to show you how to make. It’s going to be your new go-to summer lunch salad, I’m telling ya.
So yeah, the honey is coming from a homemade honey lemon vinaigrette that’s super, super easy to throw together. You’ll likely want to put it on all of your salads—or even just on a bed of greens as a side with your dinner. To store the dressing, I keep it in a small pint-sized mason jar in my cupboard. I typically make enough for 4 or 5 salads, so I end up using it up before I have to worry about it going bad. I suggest you do the same. AKA, eat more greens, people.
Alright, that’s enough rambling from me. For the newbies, you’ll notice on this blog that I like to write, but I don’t give you a 5,000-word essay on how to make a salad. It’s just not my vibe—and I’m not thirsty for ad dollars, you know? I got a job. This is just my hobby. Okay…here’s the salad recipe.
Honey Sweet Potato Summer Salad
For the roasted sweet potato
- 1 small sweet potato diced into small cubes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt & pepper, each
For the salad
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 2 handfuls arugula
- 1/2 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- 1 Tbsp pepitas (i.e. shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 1 Tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tsp honey lemon vinaigrette
For the honey lemon vinaigrette
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4up cup olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Toss together the sweet potatoes, olive oil, dried thyme leaves, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Line a sheet pan with a baking mat or parchment paper. Spread out the sweet potatoes evenly on the pan.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- While the potatoes are roasting, make the dressing. Add the honey, lemon juice, olive oil, dijon mustard, and dried thyme leaves to a small, pint-sized mason jar or air-tight container. Seal it and shake.
- When the potatoes are done, add the arugula, blueberries, goat cheese, pine nuts, and pepitas in a shallow bowl. Sprinkle in the sweet potato and drizzle 1 teaspoon of dressing on top. Serve warm.
More easy salad ideas!
Because summer produce is the best.
- Meatball & Chickpea Lunch Bowl Salad
- Delicata Squash Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Roasted Greek Chickpea Salad
- Easy Summer Caprese Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Buffalo Chickpea Salad
- Lemon Arugula Salad
- Apple Kale Salad
Don’t miss a post! Sign up for my newsletter and get them straight to your inbox—plus exclusive sends for my favorite lil’ followers.