Today is my last day in Connecticut—for now, at least. We’ve been here for about a month and it’s been nice to be able to sit on the back porch without a mask and just enjoy the fresh, salty sea air. I took some time while being home to see some of my high school buds, and while we certainly have matured some, it felt like old times. And of course, a pizza party called for dessert, and I wasn’t about settling for boxed brownies. So I made my friends these salted caramel chocolate blondies instead.
When I first chopped up these blondies, I laughed out loud. While the term “blondies” is used since it’s supposed to basically be a “blonde” brownie, mine still came out super chocolatey. As you can see, the inside is seeping with ooey-gooey chocolate and caramel, and honestly, it’s the only way I’d eat a blondie. I’m a chocoholic, guilty.
As you can see by the title of this recipe, you’re going to need chocolate salted caramel. We’re not making any of that from scratch, don’t worry. Instead, simply grab your favorite brand of chocolate caramel squares. You’re going to need four squares for one batch, so grab the kind you like! For this, I used dark chocolate sea salt caramel squares, which paired perfectly with the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Don’t like caramel? You don’t have to add the squares! Instead, just make these with chocolate chips. You can add a few more (about 3/4 cup instead) and your blondies will come out a little more blonde.
Oh hey, FYI, I’m now sending daily blog updates. So if you don’t want to miss a blog post, be sure to sign up for my newsletter.
Use an 8×8″ pan
These work best when you bake them in an 8×8″ square pan, so if you don’t have one already, you’re going to want to snag it now. Here’s one you can throw in your Amazon cart.
Other easy desserts for a party
If you’re looking for other fun sweets to make for your next socially-distant gathering with friends, here are a few of my favorites from here on the blog:
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Rice Krispies Treats
- Lemon Sponge Cake with Vanilla Frosting
- Key Lime Pie
- Apple-Pear Crisp
Salted Caramel Chocolate Blondies
- 1 stick salted butter plus extra for greasing
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 sea salt chocolate caramel squares chopped small
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a bowl in a microwave for 30-60 seconds.
- Place in a large bowl or stand mixer. Beat together with the brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder together in another bowl.
- Sprinkle the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Beat until fully combined.
- Add in the chocolate chips and chopped sea salt chocolate caramel squares. Combine together using a spatula.
- Grease an 8×8" casserole dish with a stick of butter (simply smear cold butter on the pan).
- Scrape the blondie batter into the pan. Even and flatten out the batter using a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 27 minutes.