There’s truly nothing better than a toasted sandwich for lunch on a cold day—especially when it’s paired with a cup of soup. This chipotle chicken bacon toastie is one of my favorites to make, and uses up a lot of the ingredients you have in your fridge. Particularly the leftover rotisserie chicken.
So…what’s the difference between a toastie and a panini? Or just a fancy grilled cheese? Besides the fact that toastie sounds cool to say, the name “toastie” comes from the UK, which is a special name for a grilled cheese. Sometimes it just has cheese, but other times it has all kinds of fillings inside of it. A panini refers to an Italian grilled sandwich, but usually comes on a specific bread like ciabatta. And honestly, I could have called it a grilled cheese. But I really like the term “toastie.” It just sounds charming. Do you blame me?
One of my secret tips for making toasties super crunchy is to spread mayonnaise on the outside of the bread. I know it sounds really strange, but trust me on this one, okay? The mayonnaise make the bread extra toasty and greasy, all things you want in a toasted sandwich for lunch.
Personally, I love to use up slices of my sourdough bread for this chipotle chicken bacon toastie. It makes for a really crunchy outside and adds an incredible amount of flavor to the sandwich.
I’m not sure there’s much else I can say about this chipotle chicken bacon toastie except that it’s about to be your new favorite lunch. Enjoy!
Chipotle Chicken Bacon Toastie
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce diced
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise Plus extra for grilling
- 2 slices artisanal sandwich bread like sourdough or rye
- 1/2 oz. sliced cheddar cheese
- 1/2 oz. sliced Monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken
- 1/2 tomato-on-the-vine sliced thin
- 2 bacon slices cooked
- Mix together the diced chipotle pepper and the mayonnaise in a small bowl.
- Evenly spread the mayo mixture on both slices of bread.
- Add half of the cheese to one slice of bread. Make sure to mix it up so you have both types on the slice.
- Add the cooked chicken, sliced tomato, and bacon to that same slice of bread. Top the rest of the cheese on your fixings.
- Add the other slice of bread on top, chipotle mayo side facing down.
- Heat up a skillet (preferably cast-iron) on medium-low heat.
- Spread mayonnaise on the top slice of the sandwich that is facing up.
- Flip the sandwich so the mayo side goes on the skillet. Let it toast for 3 minutes.
- Spread mayonnaise on the other side of bread, facing up. Flip and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Slice and serve immediately.
Never miss a recipe! Sign up for my email list and you’ll get a free one-month meal plan.