As you know, I try to make it my best effort to live with as little plastic as possible (here’s my latest update on being plastic free). One of the ways I’ve attempted to do this is by making my own cleaning products, and it’s very easy to do.
Did you know that the prolonged use of harmful cleaning products could actually cause lung function issues? The European Community Respiratory Health Survey found this to be true in an intensive study that was put together and published this year. It proves that after using said products, lung functions tend to decrease at an increased rate—particularly for women who are using cleaning products at a higher rate. Coming from someone who has asthma, I wouldn’t define this study as the most exciting news to hear.
Cleaning products can even be harmful to your furniture or counters. Although that all-purpose lemon spray (or even those cleaning wipes) seem fresh and clean to use, they can actually destroy your granite countertops, which I write about in this article.
Even in one of my recent interviews with Doyle James, president of Mr. Rooter Plumbing, I was told that it really isn’t safe to use cleaning products with chemicals, since it can affect our water stream. And in case your wondering, Doyle James has quite a bit to say about your plumbing, like the two things you should never throw down the drain.
Lastly, buying these products means using even more plastic. In my head, it doesn’t seem necessary to buy multiple cleaning products for single purposes (in single-use bottles) that will only clog up your cabinets, clog up our water stream, and unfortunately, clog up our lungs.
When you factor all of the variables, there’s a lot to favor when it comes to making your tocleaning products. I was skeptical at first. I grew up thinking bleach was the solver of any cleaning problem. But the more research I did, the more I realized that vinegar can actually be an easy and environmentally friendly solution for cleaning.
Vinegar works so well as a cleaning solution due to its acidity. The acidity will clean up any icky mess, and dissolve away any build up your counters may be experiencing. According to researches from the United States and the United Kingdom, vinegar will kill most harmful pathogens including the flu virus and other infectious diseases.
Instead of buying multiple products, and using harmful products that could worsen my already terrible lungs, I now put together this DIY all-purpose cleaner. And when I say all-purpose, I mean it! This spray bottle is great for cleaning counters, bathrooms, stainless steel, refrigerators, microwaves, tables, and much more. However, it is recommended to keep this solution away from fabrics.
All-Purpose Vinegar Cleaning Spray
- 20-30 drops essential oils
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- First, drop in the essential oils into a reusable glass spray bottle. I like to use a combination of eucalyptus and lemon, but feel free to use your favorite scents!
- Add in the vinegar next, then the water.
- Secure the bottle, shake, and spray!