To be honest, I actually ate this spinach omelette breakfast sandwich for lunch yesterday. Yet because eggs are doomed to only be called “breakfast” sandwiches (unless topped on a burger patty, which sometimes those are even called “brunch burgers”), the title had to reflect as such. But if you want to eat this bad boy for lunch today, honestly, I don’t blame you.
I’m calling this a “spinach omelette” breakfast sandwich because I actually fried up a two-egg omelette to go inside this sandwich. I find folding up eggs in an omelette makes eating a breakfast sandwich much easier. Scrambled eggs just get everywhere.
The next combination of items honestly just came from what’s in my fridge. That’s kinds of how recipe development has been going these days. I look in the fridge, imagine something to cook up, and if it goes well, I snap a pic! I’ve been cooking a lot home recently (just made my salted caramel chocolate blondies again),.
I’m not too picky about the meat that I put in my breakfast sandwich. However, I will admit that if there’s a package of Taylor Ham in the fridge, I almost always pick that over anything else. I grew up on Taylor Ham—both my parents are from New Jersey and it’s basically a staple food group in that state. They recently stocked up my fridge with some Taylor Ham, so because I had it on hand, I absolutely used it in this sandwich.
Topped with some fresh-cut tomatoes, seasoned with salt and pepper, and oh my yum.
Would I have loved to have this on a New York bagel? Duh. But, when you’re in a self-quarantine, you have to work with what you got. And in my fridge, I had a pack of Dave’s Killer Bread Everything Bagels. They’re a bit on the sweeter side for me, but they worked well with all of this salty and savory goodness going on in this sandwich.
Other easy breakfast (or lunch!) recipes.
These recipes are versatile for whatever time of day you want to enjoy them. Breakfast? Brunch? Lunch? Linner? Brinner? Whatever. It works.
- Jammy Egg Toast with Scallion Cream Cheese
- Ciabatta Boursin Breakfast Sandwich
- Savory French Toast
- Eggs Benedict
Here’s the sandwich recipe—enjoy!
Spinach Omelette Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 everything bagel
- 1/2 Roma tomato sliced thin
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp heavy cream or milk
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1 slice pork roll
- 1 slice Muenster cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Toast the bagel in the toaster.
- Slice up the tomato, then season each slice lightly with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs and the heavy cream in a small bowl.
- Melt 1/4 tablespoon of butter in a small skillet on low.
- Add the spinach and saute for 30 seconds, or until the spinach is visibly smaller in size.
- Pour in the egg mixture. Cook on low for 2 minutes.
- Fold the egg in half, then in half again. Let it cook for 1 more minute before removing from the pan.
- Coat the bottom of the pan again with a little bit of butter. Add the pork roll and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes.
- Butter the toasted bagel. Add the pork roll, the spinach omelette, the slice of Muenster cheese, and tomato slices to the first half, then top with the other half.
Don’t miss a post! Sign up here.