While I am PRO PUMPKIN all year round (I mean, pumpkin is full of all kinds of health benefits), I’m not so hot about celebrating fall before the summer is over. I am 100% a summer-loving babe who grew up in New England and loves to soak *every* last bit of it into my year. I’ve always felt like celebrating fall early means completely ignoring all of the amazing summer-like weather we still get in September. I mean, it’s going to be 75 and sunny the rest of this week in New York City, so you better believe I’ll be tanning in my courtyard or heading to Coney Island this weekend.
Anywho, this rant is brought to you by my latest single-stack pancake invention: carrot cake pancakes. They kind of have that fall feel for all of you early pumpkin-spice lovers out there, but without claiming this to be a full-on fall recipe quite yet. Plus, it uses up leftover carrots in your fridge, and who wouldn’t love a good food-waste recipe warrior?
Maybe you haven’t caught onto this yet, but let me be extra clear about it—I’m obsessed with pancakes. I always have been. Ever since I was a little girl, a stack of pancakes on the weekend was the primo breakfast for me. Go out to breakfast with my family? Pancakes. Mom wants to make breakfast for dinner? Pancakes. Just broke up with my toxic ex-boyfriend? Pancakes.
But you know, not everyone loves a stack of pancakes on the weekend, and I always find myself with this dilemma of wanting to make a batch of them but never have anyone to share them with. My husband isn’t a big lover of breakfast foods (I know, smite him, who does that?), so on lazy Saturday mornings, I find myself begging him to eat some pancakes with me because the last thing I want to do is waste them. Which…never works, and I end up freezing the leftovers. But frozen pancakes in the toaster just aren’t the same thing…
Enter the single-stack pancake recipe. It’s kind of my pride and joy. I mean at this point, I have so many single-stack pancake recipes on this blog, I’m thinking I should pitch a cookbook for it. I’ve listed a lot of them below, and I have so many ideas for more of them that it’s kind of sickening. But it also perfectly aligns with my pancake obsession. I’m thinking lemon poppyseed next—who’s in?
Similar to my other single-serve recipes, you can easily multiply the ingredients to make a batch of carrot cake pancakes for more people. Which I think is the prime way to make a recipe, don’t you? Why cook another recipe for four when you really just need it for yourself? I have many more right here if you’re constantly cooking for yourself and would rather not have to beg your significant other to have pancakes with you in the morning.
Single-Stack Carrot Cake Pancakes
- Griddle, or flat griddle pan
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp vegetable (or canola) oil
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract or imitation vanilla
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup finely shredded carrot
- Butte for the griddle
- Walnuts, pecans, maple syrup for topping, optional
- Whisk together the egg, almond milk, vegetable oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract in a larger mixing bowl.
- In another mixing bowl, mix the whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Sprinkle in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, as well as the shredded carrot. Mix together with a spatula until the ingredients are just combined (batter may seem a little lumpy).
- Let the batter sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat up griddle at 300 degrees. When it's warm, glide a stick of butter lightly on the surface to coat it.
- Spoon 4 pancakes (around 2 tablespoons each) of batter for each pancake. The batter will seem thick and fluffy—that's perfect!
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. The top of the pancake should get bubbly when it's ready to flip.
- Serve with chopped nuts and maple syrup, or even a dollop of whipped cream. Enjoy!
More pancake recipes!
I think it’s time I write a pancake cookbook, don’t you think?
- Single-Stack Banana Oatmeal Pancakes
- Chocolate Protein Pancakes
- Single-Stack Pumpkin Pancakes
- Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Cottage Cheese Pancakes
Don’t miss the next recipe! Sign up for my newsletter for the latest updates, and you’ll receive a free one-month meal plan in your inbox ASAP.