Peaches and bourbon just make sense. I’m a huge bourbon drinker and if I get a good one my hands, I love to pour a glass and sip on it straight. But I admit, it’s not exactly my favorite drink to have in the summertime. It has more of a winter cozy-up-on-the-couch-with-a-good-book vibe. Instead, in the summer, I’m looking for lighter drinks. Cocktails on ice, hard kombuchas, and sangria. So to satisfy my craving for bourbon, I decided to use up the peaches in my fridge and whip up a peach bourbon smash.
The “smash” comes from the technique used to make the cocktail. Meaning you literally have to smash an entire peach in a cocktail shaker. Slice it up, take out the pit, add some mint and lemon juice, and smash away. Use a muddler to make your life easier, or a back of a wooden spoon if you like a challenge. Currently, I don’t have a muddler, so I’m thinking it’s time.
The peach will provide some juice, it’s really about the flavor that it will give the bourbon. When you add in the bourbon and the brown sugar simple syrup, give it a really good shake with some ice. This recipe makes two cocktails, or just a really large one for yourself. I won’t judge.
Oh yeah, we have to make brown sugar simple syrup. Simple syrup is a heck of a lot easier than you think. To make, you simmer one part sugar and one part water for at least 4 to 5 minutes. So it’s a 1:1 ratio, for this we’re going to do 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of water.
Always pour over fresh ice. Get yourself a cocktail shaker that will strain at the top. The fresh ice will keep the cocktail cold, because the ice inside the shaker is already warm from the movement. And you don’t want a warm cocktail, do you?
Other summer cocktails for happy hour
Because why not?
Here are a few of my faves in the summertime.
- Sparkling Peach Sangria (use up more of those peaches!)
- Rosé Sangria (clearly I like sangria lately)
- Classic Margarita
- Frozen Strawberry Margarita
- Amaretto Sour
- Old Glory Cocktail
And now, a peach bourbon smash. Enjoy!
Peach Bourbon Smash
- Cocktail shaker
For the cocktail
- 1 yellow peach seeded and sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 6 mint leaves
- 4 oz. bourbon
- 1 oz. brown sugar simple syrup
- Peaches & mint leaves for garnish
For the brown sugar simple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Add the brown sugar and the water to a small saucepan. Turn the stove to medium-high heat.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Remove to container to cool.
- Place the peach slices, lemon juice, and mint leaves in a cocktail shaker. Muddle them until the peaches are completely smooshed—about 2-4 minutes.
- Add in the bourbon, brown sugar simple syrup, and some ice.
- Close and shake the cocktail for 30 seconds.
- Strain into two glasses with fresh ice. Garnish with peach slices and mint leaves.