I approach making new recipes in two different ways. The first way is a curiosity in how to make a particular dish—like bruschetta or ricotta pancakes. I do lots of research on that dish, develop my own version, test it out, and make any edits I need to before posting. The second scenario comes from a stroke of inspiration, where I throw something together so randomly and hope for the best. This jammy eggs on toast recipe was one of those moments, and it was so good, I obviously had to share it.
Now it may seem random to spread cream cheese on toast at first, I get it. But think about it…you spread cream cheese on a bagel, so why wouldn’t you try to spread some on toast? It’s thinner than a bagel, but you still get that toasty and creamy texture you’re looking for. Using cream cheese as a spread has been one of my favorite ways to eat up the loaf of sourdough I make for the week.
The inspiration for the scallion cream cheese came from a burger lettuce wrap I made a while ago…which I’m thinking I should probably share on the blog as well. Instead of adding a normal slice of cheese on my burger, I noticed we had a container of scallion cream cheese in the fridge, so I spread that on my burger instead. It was incredibly delicious, and I kind of haven’t stopped thinking about it since.
When I decided in my meal planning for the week that I would make myself some soft boiled eggs (also known as jammy eggs) with my a few slices of sourdough toast, I decided to ramp up the flavor by swapping out my usual butter with some scallion cream cheese. Topped with some pea shoots for some extra green and extra crunch, this toast is incredibly delicious.
Make this for breakfast—or lunch!
Or brunch! I really think eggs can be served any time of the day, they are one of my favorite cheap foods. These jammy eggs are easy to make at home, you really are only going to spend about 10 minutes in the kitchen making your meal.
Need more recipe ideas? I have a free cookbook you can snag with 25 dinner recipes and 1 bonus dessert! Click here to grab it now.
And if you’re looking for more recipes to make with eggs, here are some of my favorites.
- Eggs Benedict
- Savory French Toast
- Avocado Toast with Soft Boiled Eggs
- Zucchini Fritters (top them with an egg!)
And here’s the recipe—enjoy!
Jammy Eggs on Toast with Scallion Cream Cheese
- 2 eggs large
- 2 slices of artisnal bread sourdough, or something like it
- 1 12 oz. container of whipped cream cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh scallions, chopped thin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Pea shoots
- Salt & pepper
- Fill up a pot of water enough (should be tall enough for the eggs to be completely submerged when you put them in later). Cover with a lid and put on medium heat until boiling.
- While the water heats up, mix the chopped scallions and garlic powder in the cream cheese container. You should have enough scallion cream cheese to make this a few times over the week!
- When the pot is boiling, slowly place the two eggs in with a slotted spoon. Set a time for 6 minutes.
- Toast two slices of bread. Spread the cream cheese on the bread after toasting.
- Add a small handful of pea shoots onto each piece of toast.
- When the timer goes off, remove the eggs with a slotted spoon into a bowl. Rinse under cold water for at least 30 seconds.
- Peel the eggs and place them on your slices of toast with the pea shoots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.