Think you need to deep fry wings in order for them to be good? Uh, guess what, think again! I found the easiest trick for making crispy oven buffalo wings ever, and it’s going to blow your mind. Are you ready for it? Because I don’t think you are.
The secret trick for crispy oven buffalo wings
Okay, so you want to hear it? Here it is: Coat the wings in baking powder.
Yes, really. Baking powder will actually help in drawing out the moisture of the chicken wing skin and make your wings incredibly crispy. While you’re still going to pat down your wings to draw out some of that moisture, the balking powder will help to release even more of it while baking.
Alright, now, there’s also another trick. When you bake the wings, sit the wings on a wire rack. I honestly place my cooling rack on a sheet pan and place the wings on top of that. That way the juices that are released go to the sheet pan, and the chicken doesn’t get soggy sitting in the juices.
Now, the wire rack trick does help to make other types of foods crispy—like roasted vegetables or fries. However, using the baking powder doesn’t work for all, so if you plan on trying the cooling rack trick for your roasted vegetables, skip coating it in baking powder. It will just make the food taste way too salty, to be honest.
Use the whole wing
Typically when you order wings out, you get the different “wingettes,” which are the pieces of the wings. But when you actually go to buy chicken wings, you’re legit getting the entire wing. I know it’s going to feel a little odd at first, but trust me, bake the whole wing.
It’s going to taste just as good, and it means keeping the full skin of the wing intact. This means there’s more surface area to cover in your baking powder mixture. So just trust me on this one—bake the whole wing and don’t worry about cutting it up into wingettes. I mean, it’s going to be easier for you this way, honestly.
Other foods to serve with wings
Here are a few sides you can whip up with your wings if you’re looking to make a meal out of it.
Or simply make some wings to serve as an appetizer!
Crispy Oven Baked Buffalo Wings
- 1 lb chicken wings
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Place over a cooling rack on a large sheet pan.
- Pat the wings dry with a paper towel, then place them in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the baking powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Sprinkle the baking powder mixture on the wings, then with clean hands, spread evenly to coat the wings.
- Place the wings (skin side up) on the cooling rack. When finished, wash off your hands.
- Place the baking sheet (with the cooling rack and the wings) in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven safely. Using tongs, flip the wings so the skin side is facing down. Bake for another 30 minutes.
- During the last few minutes of baking, whisk the melted butter and the buffalo sauce together.
- Remove the wings. Using the tongs, dip the wings in the sauce and place them back on the cooling rack, skin side up.
- Switch the oven to broil and broil the wings for 3 minutes.
- Toss the wings in any remaining sauce, then serve!