Ready for an embarrassing story? Many months ago I posted a photo on Instagram Stories of this creamy roasted red pepper chicken that I made, and a follower asked for the recipe. I told her that I would absolutely post it on my blog—and then completely dropped the ball. Like, really. It’s been months. So this is dedicated to her.
Did you guys know that chicken recipes are consistently a top search term on Google and Pinterest? People are obsessed with finding new ways to cook this versatile meat because let’s be honest, chicken can get boring really quick.
However, I find that chicken is a lot more tolerable to eat when paired with a thick, creamy, cheesy sauce—like this roasted red pepper sauce. Or this creamy Tuscan sauce. Or this cheesy pasta. You get the picture.
For this recipe, I like to pair it with a simple roasted vegetable. It makes a lot of sauce, so you can easily scoop up the leftover sauce and put it on whatever vegetable you have to pair! I made this batch of roasted red pepper chicken with roasted asparagus, which I cooked similarly to how I make roasted Brussels sprouts—but only roasted them at 400 for about 20 minutes.
Getting roasted red peppers for this recipe
Sure, you could find a jar of pre-made roasted red peppers at the store, but did you know it’s actually really easy to make? I have a tutorial on how to roast red peppers that you can prep for this recipe, and for other future recipes! Enjoy the leftover roasted red with some soft boiled eggs, on a breakfast sandwich, or even topped on a salad!
Sides to go with your chicken
Make it a meal by making one of these easy sides.
Alright, here’s the recipe! Now what recipes do you want me to make? I promise I won’t drop the ball so hard this time…
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Chicken
- 1 lb. chicken tenderloins
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers diced
- 2 oz. cream cheese cubed
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Season both sides of the chicken tenderloins with salt and pepper.
- Heat up a skillet over medium heat with 1/2 of the tablespoon of butter.
- Cook the chicken tenderloins in the skillet on each side for 3-4 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink on the inside.
- Turn off the heat and remove the cooked chicken to a plate.
- Add in the other 1/2 tablespoon of butter to the skillet and turn the heat back on. Sprinkle in the diced roasted red peppers and the minced garlic cloves. Stir and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, then add in the cream cheese cubes. Break up the cream cheese with a wooden spoon until it is fully incorporated into the sauce
- Sprinkle in the parmesan cheese, mix until melted.
- Add the chicken back into the skillet, pouring some of the sauce over the tenderloins. Heat up for one more minute, then serve with roasted vegetables.
I rarely do this, but I made this recipe tonight and I immediately had to come back and let you know that this is EASILY the best sauce I’ve ever made!! This tasted restaurant quality and I can’t believe I was able to do it in my own home and it was so accessible for the home cook! I’m adding this to my arsenal of go-to meals no doubt. Thank you!! This was my first time visiting your blog but I’m definitely going to stick around 😊
Aw I’m so happy to hear this, thank you so much for sharing! This recipe is one of my favorites, I’m glad you enjoyed it.
Cooked this tonight for my husband and a friend. The only thing I did different was add 2 low sodium chicken gravy packets and 2 bouillon cubes and enough water so the gravy was the right consistency. Served it over yellow rice and made cabbage casserole for a vegetable. They couldn’t stop complimenting me! They ate multiple plates full of food. Oh yeah, I’ll cook this again.
YUM! That sounds like an amazing meal. I’m so glad you liked it, thanks for sharing!
Can I substitute the cream cheese?
Hi! I have not tried substituting the cream cheese in this recipe before, I’m sorry. For the creamy part of the sauce, cream cheese would be your best bet.
Made this for dinner tonight and it was sooooo yummy!! My friend’s son is living with us while attending a baseball academy and he had 3 helpings! Everyone enjoyed it and it will be added to the meal rotation! I served it with green beans and spatzle.
Glad they loved it!
Hello! I’m curious because I only have cream cheese spread on me, but would it be okay to use it as a substitute for the block of cream cheese in this recipe? Any idea if this would change the consistency in the sauce? Thanks you!
I think it should work just fine!
I want to make this but instead of tenderloins can I use chicken thighs??
I think it should work fine!