I have a fun little thing for you to wake up to in the morning. : ) If you love coffee cake, but don’t have a ton of people to share it with (and would rather not be tempted by a huge blueberry coffee cake all weekend), then you’re going to love this mug coffee cake recipe. It’s a mini crumb coffee cake that you “bake” in the microwave. In 90 seconds.
I know, I know, you love me.
During those crazy months of quarantine in NYC, I was basically living off of my 90-second chocolate mug cakes. They were my decadent treat after the end of *another* wild day. But you know how when you make something so many times in a row that you get kind of sick of it? Sorry, chocolate mug cake. It’s not you, it’s me.
Enter a new era of mug cakes—the mug coffee cake. But this mug cake made a special upgrade from dessert to breakfast. Because adding “coffee” in the title turns it into a breakfast food, right?
It works well for breakfast (I bet you’re reading this in bed right now and thinking about making it…) but I also enjoy making it during that 3pm work slump when I need a sugar fix to keep me going. Paired with an espresso from this fancy press my husband just bought us? Sold.
In true crumb coffee cake fashion, I even show you how to make a mini crumb topping for this cute lil’ cake. Fair warning: You have to love butter to love this recipe. I’m sorry people! It’s the only way. Butter or bust.
To make this cake, you’ll whisk together the batter, top it with the crumb topping, and cook it for 90 seconds on high in the microwave. And give it a few seconds to cool before devouring, okay? You don’t want a burnt tongue to ruin your mug coffee cake experience. Especially if you made all that effort to get out of your bed and trek to the kitchen in your jammies.
Another note: Use real milk. Almond milk is fine. But you want cow’s milk in there, especially if it has a little milk fat. 1% or 2% are the best options. But I did make this with almond milk recently and it was fine. Just not as fatty as we like our cakes to be!
Mmkay, mug coffee cake time!
Coffee Crumb Microwave Mug Cake
For the crumb topping
- 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
For the mug cake
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp milk best with 1% or 2%
- Melt the 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a small microwavable bowl for 30 seconds, or until fully melted.
- Mix together with the all-purpose flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Melt the other 1 tablespoon of butter in a mug for 30 seconds to 1 minute in the microwave, or until melted.
- Whisk in the brown sugar and vanilla extract in the mug with the melted butter.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and milk. Whisk until combined.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping on top of the cake batter.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds.
- Let it cool slighly before devouring!