At this point, you’ve probably figured out that I’m a huge fan of making easy recipes. If I can put together a delicious dinner with little to almost no effort, sign me up. However, I admit that I don’t make quesadillas that much, despite how easy they are to make. Why? Because they’re just so boring.
Quesadillas typically have two or three ingredients: Tortilla, cheese, and if you’re feeling it, some kind of meat or vegetable filling. Sure it’s easy to throw together, but it’s not that exciting. But when I found myself with a plethora of large tortillas after using them for a photoshoot, I became determined to make a quesadilla that didn’t quite suck as much.
Insert the chicken fajita quesadilla! Unlike most chicken quesadillas, this one is bursting with flavor and really makes you rethink all the ghosts of chicken quesadilla past. The recipe I threw together makes at least 4 quesadillas, but if you’re only cooking for yourself, you could save the rest of the chicken fajita filling in a container and use it to make fresh quesadillas throughout the week. Or heat them up for normal chicken fajitas, or even spread on a salad.
As always, when I invent a new recipe, I turn to my husband and ask him for feedback. He thought the taste was decent, but he did admit that having a side of taco sauce (like this kind) for dipping would bring these quesadillas to the next level! While I like having this with my homemade guacamole, if you’re like him, add a small bowl of taco sauce and give it a try. Don’t worry, I made sure the taco sauce is in the chicken fajita quesadilla recipe as well.
Chicken Fajita Quesadilla
- 1 lb boneless & skinless chicken breast diced
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded taco cheese
- 1/4 cup taco sauce
- 4 tortillas burrito size
- Cook the diced chicken breast, sliced bell peppers, and sliced onions on a medium-sized skillet with some oil. Sprinkle in the taco seasoning. Remove from the pan once the chicken is fully cooked through and no longer pink.
- Fill half of each burrito shell with 1/4 cup shredded taco cheese, a quarter of the chicken fajita filling, and 1 tbsp of taco sauce.
- Heat up a separate, larger skillet over medium-low heat. Fold one of the quesadillas in half and place it on the heated skillet. Cook until the bottom is toasty and golden. Flip and cook the other side.
- Repeat this with each quesadilla until all of them are cooked.
- Serve with salsa and guacamole for dipping!
Pin this for later
What are some other boring recipes you make that need an upgrade? Share them in the comments below, or shoot me a message over on Instagram!