Sometimes when I experiment in the kitchen with leftovers, it goes really poorly. Other times when I experiment, it goes very well. This butternut squash pizza, made with kale and white sauce, was one of those successes.
I was on my own for dinner one night, and I was really craving one of my homemade skillet pizzas. But I obviously wasn’t going to finish one all to myself, so I thought of throwing together simply using foods that I had in the fridge. All I had to do was pick up pizza dough!
Use half of a premade dough
Now, most grocery stores will sell pre-made doughs in the dairy section. If you can’t find one, you could always try the frozen food aisle. Just make sure you give yourself enough time to properly defrost the dough before using it!
For this butternut squash pizza, I actually snagged the Garlic & Herb pizza dough from Trader Joe’s. I knew I wasn’t going to eat the whole thing in one sitting, so I cut it in half. I placed the second half in my freezer to make an individual pizza for some other time! I can’t wait to see what leftover pizza creation I make next.
Use a 9″ cast-iron skillet
Have I told you how I’m obsessed with cast-iron skillets? No? Well, let me fill you in. Cast-iron skillets are literally the PERFECT dish to have in your kitchen. They work as a skillet, a casserole dish, a pizza stone, even a deep-fryer! I absolutely love using my 9″ and my 12″ in the kitchen, especially when it comes to making pizza. You can snag one for yourself right here.
Easy white sauce? Grab alfredo!
I know this sounds strange since typically white pizzas are made either with a homemade bechamel sauce or layers of ricotta cheese. But since I had a jar of alfredo leftover in the fridge, I decided to give it a try on the pizza. It did not disappoint! So for an easy white sauce, a jar of alfredo will do.
Plus, you can always make an easy dish of chicken alfredo with leftover sauce later in the week!
Alright, here’s the recipe!
Butternut Squash Pizza
- 9" Cast-Iron Skillet
- 1/2 pizza dough premade
- 1/2 cup alfredo sauce
- 1 cup butternut squash diced
- 1 cup kale
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Dice up the butternut squash into small pieces
- Add the kale to a small bowl with the olive oil. Massage the kale for a few minutes, until it is soft.
- Roll out the pizza dough into a circle, then press into the bottom of the seasoned cast-iron skillet.
- Spread the alfredo sauce onto the dough
- Add the kale, butternut squash, and goat cheese
- Sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese on top
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the cheese becomes golden.