Once upon a time, I’m sifting through a small market near our apartment in Brooklyn picking up a few last minute things for dinner, and I come across the isle that has cereal, oatmeal, granola, and all the other crunchy breakfast essentials one would need. Now I know NYC is expensive enough, but I couldn’t get over the fact that the cheapest granola on that shelf was $8.99. EIGHT NINETY-NINE. For not even two cups of granola! Plus to top it all off, the amount of sugar and other products that coat that granola makes me cringe. Determined, I came back to my apartment and decided to make a batch of granola from scratch.
I have seen granola recipes floating around Pinterest here and there, but none really ever stood out to me. I’m not a huge nuts or dried fruit type of gal, so anytime I saw a recipe with those ingredients I just skipped it. This time, however, I decided to take a peak back at some of those recipes to see if making granola was harder than it seems. Surprisingly, it’s not, and in 40 minutes I had my very first batch.
I decided to make this granola with peanut butter and sweeten it with honey (and maple syrup, actually), but I’m hoping to experiment with a few other flavors in the future. Here’s the recipe:
Honey Peanut Butter Granola
Prep Time: 45 minutes. Serves 4
- 1 cup of dry old fashioned oats
- 1 tbsp. of peanut butter
- 1 tbsp. of honey
- 1 tbsp. of maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. of oil
- 1/4 tsp. of cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl until they are evenly coated.
- Spray down a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Lay out the oats on the baking sheet. Make sure to pat it down to a thin layer (makes it easier for breaking later).
- Bake the granola for 30 minutes, mixing it up every 10 minutes.
- Let it cool for a few minutes (probably around 5-10) before breaking. The oats will still feel a bit soft once taken out of the oven, so give them time to harden.
I store my granola in this jar with an airtight lid, which I actually found in that dollar section in Target. You can easily find one there or at Michael’s.